Water Wise Tips
The watering tips are brought to you by Water Wise Utah. For more info. visit them at http://waterwiseutah.org
Watch the "Cycle and Soak" video for proper watering techniques.
1. Don't water in the middle of a hot day. Watering when it's cooler allows water to penetrate into the root zone where it can be helpful to the plant.
A good rule-of-thumb is to not water between the hours of 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
2. Water deeply: Deep soak your lawn's root zone where the water won't evaporate as quickly, and will do the most good for the plant. By using a soil probe, (or even a screwdriver) you can determine
if your soil is moist in the root zone, and if you need to water it. If it's moist, don't water!
3. Don't over water. Excess watering means that fertilizers, and pesticides will move out of the root zone of the plant, rendering them ineffective. What's worse is that those toxins can penetrate into the groundwater impacting water quality, and increasing the environmental burden.
4. Avoid watering on windy, or rainy days. If it's windy wait a day. If it's rainy wait a day. Don't water in adverse weather.
5. Put soup cans out on your lawn, and determine how much time it takes to put 1 inch of water on the ground.
6.Avoid watering the entire lawn for the few brown or dry patches